Monday 7 July 2008

Preserving

I've been up to a bit of preserving over the last few days. I do like chutney and pickles so thought I'd make a few. I've previously made some that have gone down very well (piccalilli and pear chutney in particular) and so thought I'd have a crack at a few more. So I've now got a cupboard stuffed with blackberry and apple jam, raspberry and nectarine jam, tomato chutney, Bengal chutney, and some balsamic and thyme shallots.

I have yet to put my efforts out the to the Village People Jury but I'm not sure that they are all going to be successful. Certainly I am not sure about two of them. First the raspberry and nectarine jam and second the tomato chutney.

Jam should be easy as you just boil up equal parts fruit and sugar. However, I ended up with one really good set (the blackberry and apple) and one (raspberry and nectarine) that despite passing the test for a set during cooking, seemed to stay totally liquid in the jars. After a day with no set I decided to boil it up again and see if I could get a proper set rather than ditch it (or pass off as a compote rather than jam!). I did get a set but was amazed at how much I had to reduce the liquid by - I lost a whole 8 ounce jar in the process of boiling the syrup down to get a set. That is a fair amount of liquid to lose for a 10 minute boil. Anyway we have a set now. They both seem good and will soon be passed out to my testers. I'm not going to give away what the extras are in each of the jams and preserves over and above the basic fruit and sugar - I wonder if they'll be able to taste my little additions? Although, if they know me well enough by know they may be able to guess the genre of product that may have been added :)

With the tomato chutney, I seem to have ended up with a total loss of the identity of the tomato and it seems to be just raisins and onions. I think that the recipe might be over kill on the dried fruit on this one, but as always I usually stick to the recipe first time before playing with it (although I did add change this one just a teeny bit to boost the flavour). Perhaps I'll re-name this one onion and raisin chutney. I may also have to keep my tomatoes much more chunky, I wasn't cutting very fine but from the looks of this, quarters or halves would probably have sufficed. Well, the proof will be in the tasting. A hot taste seemed ok, but we'll have to see what it is like in action soon.

My favourite potential is the Bengal chutney but that will take at least a couple of months to mature. The balsamic onions will also probably need a month but a hot taste of the preserving liquid is promising.

Next is to re-create my pear chutney that was so nice last time. As mentioned in my main blog, the cook book fairy has probably got that one so I'm going to have fun deconstructing the little bit I have left and then trying to re-build the recipe.

So, if anyone wants some jam or chutney give me a shout. I also need empty jars!

1 comment:

rakh1 said...

'...soon passed out to my testers' - Awesome!!!! :)